An annual payment from Social Security Scotland for those age 16-18, caring 16 hours a week for a person/people on qualifying disability benefits. You will not be able to get Young Carer Grant if you’re already getting Carer’s Allowance, caring 35 hours or more a week. You should apply for Carers Allowance (see criteria to claim under Carers Allowance) once you’ve been paid Young Carer Grant.
You can get Young Carer Grant if all of these apply:
- you live in Scotland
- you’re 16, 17 or 18 years old
- you’ve been caring for one or more people for around 16 hours a week, for the last 3 months
- the person or people you care for are getting certain benefits
- you’re not being paid to care for someone you will use in your application as part of your job
- you’re not helping care for the people you apply for as a volunteer, for example as part of a care group or charity
- you’re not already getting Carer’s Allowance from the Department for Work and Pensions, or Northern Ireland’s Carer’s Allowance
For more information on Young Carer Grant and to find out if you’re eligible to claim it, visit GOV.UK – Young Carer Grant.
Social Security Scotland
Telephone: 0800 182 2222
British Sign Language(BSL) users: contactSCOTLAND app