Child Tax Credits for people on a low income who are responsible for a child/children. If your child is 16, you can claim up until 31 August after their 16th birthday. If they are in approved education or training, you can claim until their 20th birthday. You should also update any disability benefit awards for the children you are responsible for.

Some people continue to receive this benefit. New claims can only be made by someone already in receipt of another tax credit payment e.g. a Working Tax Credit award.

Other people may be able to claim an amount on Universal Credit, when responsible for a child/children, with low income and capital. Seek advice from EA Money, Citizens Advice or the East Ayrshire Universal Credit Support Team.

For more information on Education Maintenance Allowance and to find out if you’re eligible to claim it, visit – Education Maintenance Allowance.

Education Maintenance Allowance Section
Telephone: 01563 553934
Telephone: 01563 553932