Who can claim?

New claims for those aged 16 until before retirement pension age.

Basic qualifying period, experienced difficulties for 13 weeks before claiming and expected to continue for 26 weeks after. Some exceptions to the qualifying period rule, such having a terminal illness.

The application process has two parts. Start an application by phone to complete part 1 then a paper form part 2 will be sent for completion, with a prepaid envelope.

Things to consider

If you can’t do the activity safely, repeatedly or to a good standard, or it takes you much longer to do it, give the reason. This could be pain/discomfort, restricted mobility or strength, confusion/ memory problems, difficulties with vision/hearing or other sensory problems, lack of motivation, exhaustion etc. If you need prompted by someone, someone has to do some things for you, or to be there whilst you do the activity, this should also be noted on the form.

Difficulties you have must relate to the following activities:

Daily Living

  • Preparing Food
  • Taking food and drink/nutrition
  • Managing therapy or monitoring a health condition
  • Washing and Bathing
  • Toileting and Incontinence
  • Dressing and Undressing
  • Communicating verbally
  • Reading and understanding signs/symbol and words
  • Engaging with other people face to face
  • Making budgeting decisions


  • Planning and following a journey
  • Moving Around-looking at the distance you can mobilise

Sending in supporting letters/reports from a professional who knows your difficulties can help, e.g. from a GP, hospital consultant, physiotherapist, psychiatrist, community psychiatric nurse, social worker etc. Do not send the original letter; send a copy with the form.

Levels of benefit

There are 2 rates for the both Daily Living and Mobility Components- standard and enhanced

  • Daily Living for difficulties activities as noted above
  • Mobility for getting around, activities noted above

How to claim

Making the application phone call – telephone 0800 182 2222 where you will be asked a series of questions:

  • Name, address, date of birth, nationality
  • Contact telephone number and National Insurance Number
  • Bank account number and sort code
  • Information about time spent abroad

The next stage is completing part 2, when you will be sent a form asking about your health difficulties.

Details about your condition/s and symptoms.

  • If you still await a diagnosis
  • You need to give detailed answers relating to how your conditions affect your ability to look after yourself
  • About understanding information-any challenges
  • What help and support you need and why
  • How you move around outdoors
  • Any medication/treatments or equipment you need
  • Information about tests and results
  • details of your GP and any other health professionals who support you
  • Contact details of anyone that can give more information about your conditions e.g. family/carer

Questions you’ll be asked

You can download documents showing the questions you’ll be asked when applying for Adult Disability Payment. They’re for reference only and you should not use them to make an application.

If you don’t agree with the award decision

The first step is to request a redetermination, you have 42 days from the decision notification to request this (6weeks).

Two ways to ask Social Security Scotland to look at their decision again

  • Call 0800 182 2222
  • Complete a paper redetermination form

Following the redetermination decision if you still do not agree, you have a calendar month from the notification to appeal.

You can send in more information or new support letters from professionals who know about your difficulties. If the result still isn’t in your favour you can request an appeal which is sent to the tribunal service. This should be done within 31 days of the date of the redetermination decision.

Review Form

  • Keep a copy of your last completed form to remind yourself of what was written. As the review form asks what has changed since you were assessed last time.
  • If you don’t have a copy you may be unsure of what was written, then you can call to ask for them to send a copy of your last form to you.
  • Keep your last award letter to show the activities you scored points in and the number of points you scored in each.

If you haven’t got your last award letter you can contact and request a copy this.

  • Supporting letters from a professional who knows your difficulties can help, e.g. from a GP, consultant, physiotherapist, psychiatrist, community psychiatric nurse, social worker etc.

If you ask for a review as your health has changed

If you feel your difficulties have become worse and think you want to ask for a review of your entitlement, before your claim review is due. Please be aware you may lose entitlement or gain in their reassessment process, as they look at the whole decision again.  Seek advice.